Serguei I. Bannykh, MD, PhD
- Director, Neuropathology
Dr. Seguei I. Bannykh, MD, PhD, is an expert on nervous system injury related to brain tumors, neurodegenerative diseases and other disorders. He is involved in several research projects funded by the National Institutes of Health to study brain development and tumors of the brain. He also has studied molecular events contributing to the genesis of cystic fibrosis.
Prior to his appointment at Cedars-Sinai, Dr. Bannykh served as assistant professor and attending neuropathologist at Yale University Medical School.
He studied at the State Medical Academy in Ivanovo, Russia, where he became an assistant professor in the Department of Anatomy, subsequently conducting research at the Consortium Mario Negri in Italy and the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, CA. He completed a residency in anatomic pathology and neuropathology at the University of California, San Diego.
Dr. Bannykh has authored more than 50 peer-reviewed scientific papers and seven book chapters.
Board-certified in anatomic pathology/neuropathology
• Reviewer for several scientific journals and agencies that provide research grants
• Conducted research at Consortium Mario Negri, Italy, and the Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA
• Medical Degree: State Medical Academy, Ivanovo, Russia
• Ph.D: State Medical Academy, Ivanovo, Russia
• Internship: Psychiatry, State Medical Academy, Ivanovo, Russia
• Residency: Anatomic pathology and neuropathology, University of California, San Diego